Monday, March 31, 2008

Pastors Should Blog

Without giving extra-biblical mandates, Abraham Piper provides six winsome reasons why blogging is advantageous and fruitful for pastors. From the the DesiringGod blog (where else?), the son of John Piper encourages pastors about this online medium with words such as below:

There is no better way to simply and quickly share your writing than by maintaining a blog. And if you’re serious about your blog, it will help you not only in your thinking, but in your discipline as well, as people begin to regularly expect quality insight from you.

Piper continues by saying the blog is handy for further developing sermon points and recommending resources and materials to your people. He adds:

And more than just a catch-all for sermon spill-over, a blog is a perfect place for those 30-second nuggets of truth that come in your devotions or while you’re reading the newspaper. You may never write a full-fledged article about these brief insights or preach a whole sermon, but via your blog, your people can still learn from them just like you did.

Abraham's entire post can be found here.

For the "preacher boys," perhaps we're a step ahead--or maybe we just talk too much and are presumptuous to think others would even care about our thoughts on various topics. Probably a little of each.

Still, we should "fight the good fight" and keep blogging.

1 comment:

Lloyd said...

Haze, I couldn't agree more that this is a wonderful idea for pastors to take to heart. Creating their own blog is sort of a way that church members (and others) can get to know their pastor better, which is one thing that I think many people have a great desire to do. My older brother is a member of a large church in Murfreesboro and he has only met his pastor one time, and that is because my uncle introduced him because my uncle was a friend of the pastort.
A blog can allow the people in a congregation to see which theological issues are particularly special to the pastor and also it can make them feel like they are growing closer to their pastor. I know from personal experience that since reading Al Mohler's blog that I have really come to feel like I know him and to such a degree that I feel like I could carry on a nice conversation with him were I to ever run into him out in public.
People in congregations have many questions that they would like to have answered but their pastor is only available to them a few hours a week and that is if they are lucky and in a smaller church. If they are in a bigger church they might not ever get to talk to their pastor and ask questions.
Since I am a preacher's kid I have a special privelage that not many people get. Any time I have a question about the Bible I have my pastor living in the same house as me, so I go ask him (actually I asked him a theological question about an hour ago). Not too many people have that luxury.
If a pastor starts his own blog he can answer questions that people in the congregation have and then also throw out those "nuggets of truth" as they were called that they run across in their study.
Obviously there are pastors that will simply not have the time many weeks, if at all. But as long as a pastor is maintaing his study time and producing in the pulpit to preach the Word of God, then I think having his own blog is something that would be beneficial to all of the people around him.