Monday, June 30, 2008

A Striking Conversation




I had a very interesting conversation with a man this past weekend. He was a car salesman and while we were waiting on some paper work, he and I struck up a conversation. I told him that I was currently in school at Tusculum and that I planned to attend Southern Baptist Theological Seminary after I received my BA.
After I mentioned this he told me that his parents had taken him to visit a seminary in Kennebunkport, Maine. Personally, I had no idea that car salesmen could be accepted into seminary given their dark past. But nonetheless, he did go. While there he and his family went through the usual tour of the campus and of the prospective dorms that he would potentially be staying in.
The unuaual part of the story came as he and his family were about to leave and head back home. At this time of the day there was a storm that errupted on the horizon. A black cloud descended on the seminary. And about 15 feet from this man's car was an oak tree that had been at this seminary for years. He was told that it was over 100 years old. That means that this tree would have been HUGE. As his family was about to leave a bolt of lightning pierced through the clouds and struck the enormous tree, splitting it completely in half. Somewhat stunned and paralyzed by the potential sign that this could have been this man turned to his parents and said "I don't believe this is the place for me."
I have my opinon on this but, my question to you, my fellow blog mates, is who do you think this sign came from? We know that Satan is "The prince of the power of the air" (Eph. 2:2) and we also know that God is the creator and sustainer of the universe. So which of these two did this sign come from? Is it possible for us to know? Was it really even a sign to begin with? I would love to hear your comments.

2 comments:

Elijah said...

can we say for sure? not only in the vague sense of philosophical conjectures, but is there even enough info given in the story to make a judgment?

Whatever the case, God decreed the lightning to strike, and the lightning struck to His glory, and for the good of the car salesman.

Ralton Emory said...

I cannot make a sound judgment on this one. There are too many "unknowns" from my human presepective.

However, I will say that "signs" and "wonders" need to be examined in the light of God's Word. The car salesman needs to find direction from that, not a dramatic event. (Remember the "wow" factor I have spoken of before)

Not much help, but my two cents...