Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Calvinist's Conversion



The following lines are from Charles Spurgeon's autobiographical account of his conversion. I have retained all the original grammar, spellings, and uniqueness that make up Spurgeon's style. Pay particular attention to the last sentence.

"If I had listened to the Arminian theory, I should never have been converted, for it never had any charms to me. A Saviour who casts away His people, a God who leaves His children to perish, is not worthy of my worship, and a salvation which does not save outright is neither worth preaching nor worth listening to.

I recollect the time when I was afraid that Jesus would never save me, but I used to feel in my heart that, even if He did not, I must love Him for what He had done for other poor sinners. It seemed to me, as I read the wondrous story of His life and death, that if He refused me, I would still lie at His feet and say, 'Thou mayest spurn me, but Thou art a blessed Christ for all that; and if Thou dost curse me, yet I can only say to Thee that I well deserve it at Thy hands. Do what Thou wilt with me; but Thou didst save the dying thief, and Thou didst save her out of whom Thou didst cast seven devils, and if Thou doest not deign to save me, yet Thou art a blessed Christ, and I cannot rail at Thee or find fault with Thee, but I lie down at Thy feet, and worship Thee.' I could not help saying, once, that, even if He damned me, I would love God because He was so gracious to others. One text of Scripture especially cheered me; I lived upon it for months. I felt the weight of sin, and I did not know the Saviour; I feared God would blast me with His wrath, and smite me with His hot displeasure! From chapel to chapel I went to hear the word preached, but never a gospel sentence did I hear, but this one text preserved me from what I believe I should have been driven to--the commission of suicide through grief and sorrow. It was this sweet word, 'Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.'"

No comments: